Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hey hey hey its moon cake season. What is a moon cake some of you may be asking? Well its a pastry filled with a variety of stuff, for example some have chocolate and some have bean paste. Now you may be asking what is bean paste, and my answer is I don't know. Doesn't sound too appealing to me so I opted for the lotus seed. And once again you ask what's that? Well it kinda reminded me of a big fig newton. It was pretty good.
The history of the moon cake stems back a long time, I don't know a 1000 years or something. Apparently they used to smuggle notes in the cakes to the leader of some dynasty from the front lines of some war. That's about all I know other than they taste pretty darn good.
It's every where, Same same but different. I love that saying. It applies to everything in this part of the world.
It seems that wherever we live Hastings isn't far away. This is about 3 blocks from our place. The Banana Leaf Apollo is down this road. That's where we had the infamous Fish Head Curry. A must try for all those visiting.
Ok so I'm wandering around aimlessly, which I do often, and I came across this market of dried goods. It's amazing what they dry and I guess rehydrate and cook with around here. They had huge baskets full of these squid. Really how much of this stuff is used. A lot I guess.
Dried mussels. Again I don't know. I have to find a way to use them in something. Probably unbeknownst to my honey.
I'm not really sure what these little fellas are. Minnows or something.
This on the other hand is a Red Ruby dessert. The red bits are water cress in gelatin, for texture, everything is about texture here. Under that is shaved ice with a coconut sauce over top. It's really good. Desserts are very different here, no cakes or pies or creme brule, its shaved ice and different wacky fruits. There is one that I haven't had the gall to try yet but it has corn and red beans and fruit and I don't know what on it. When I summon up the courage there will definitely be a pic and review on the flavor combinations. Its gonna be weird.
Speaking of weird welcome to Ikea. When we moved into our place we of course had to make a trip to Ikea for home supplies, plates, glass ware, cutlery etc.. Barbara thought that since we finally got a place we might celebrate with a nice meal and a bottle of Veuve or something...Wrong, we went to IKEA and had a wonderful meal of Chicken wings and Swedish meatballs. So I've never eaten at Ikea before and I thought these little trolleys were wild. Do they have them everywhere or is this an Asian thing???
Oh yeah we had beer instead of Veuve as well. Breaking the bank for my lady..
Now this guy was Huge. Barbara fell in love with this guy as soon as she saw it, NOT. For some reason Barbara doesn't really like moths
Especially ones that are the size of bats
So this is one of the HDB's in the area. I really like this one because it reminds me of Sesame Street with the colors and everything. I guess it helps the tenants remember where they live. Some things are just a little strange around here, and it's not just me.

Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment